download all of Hackage?

Christopher Allen cma at bitemyapp.com
Mon Sep 14 15:50:41 UTC 2015

It's a little out of date, but I've been using that repo I made to do
surveys of Haskell code and figure out how frequently things are used.

I could really do with a Haskell-source-code-aware grep though. Being able
to specify type, data, etc. would be really nice!

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Alan & Kim Zimmerman <alan.zimm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You could clone https://github.com/bitemyapp/hackage-packages
>
> Alan
>
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <
> hvriedel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-09-14 at 16:43:44 +0200, Richard Eisenberg wrote:
>> > Is there an easy way to download (but not compile) all of Hackage? I
>> > know of the hackager package, but that's about compiling. I just want
>> > a whole big load of Haskell code to play with. I thought I could find
>> > a link on Hackage to do this, but failed.
>>
>> It's quite easy, you can iterate through the list of package names and
>> call 'cabal get' like e.g. (untested, but I've done this already -- you
>> may need to protect against execution errors)
>>
>>   for PKG in $(cabal list --simple | awk '{ print $1 }' | uniq); do cabal
>> get $PKG;done
>>
>> another variant is to construct the URLs based on the output;
>>
>> you can also get a list of packages in JSON format via
>>
>>  http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/.json
>>
>> there's many ways to accomplish what you want...

Chris Allen
Currently working on http://haskellbook.com