Deriving Contravariant and Profunctor

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 17:52:35 UTC 2015

Actually it is trickier than you'd think.

With "Functor" you can pretend that contravariance doesn't exist.

With both profunctor and contravariant it is necessarily part of the puzzle.

data Compose f g a = Compose (f (g a))

* are both f and g contravariant leading to a functor?
* is f contravariant and g covariant leading to a contravariant functor?
* is f covariant and g contravariant leading to a contravariant functor?

data Wat p f a b = Wat (p (f a) b)

is p a Profunctor or a Bifunctor? is f Contravariant or a Functor?

We investigated adding TH code-generation for the contravariant package,
and ultimately rejected it on these grounds.

https://github.com/ekmett/contravariant/issues/17

-Edward