Type-level error messages

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Tue Oct 27 18:12:24 UTC 2015

Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> writes:

> I’ve forgotten the state of your type-level error messages work.  How’s it going?
>
> Iavor Diatchki <iavor.diatchki at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I think we should try to add it to 8.0.1. The current status is that
> > the idea is implemented on a branch. Then, there were some comments
> > and suggestions that maybe we should do things in a different way,
> > implementation wise. I haven't had a chance to look into these in
> > detail, or implement them, and as far as I know nobody else has
> > stepped up to make the changes. So we could simply go with the current
> > version, and if for some reason we want to change the implementation
> > we could do it later, as I don't think the API will be affected in any
> > way. When do the changes need to happen by, so that it makes it in
> > 8.0? I have been a bit busy, but I could probably find some time to
> > make whatever changes are required for this to be merged.

Hi Iavor,

Do you think you will be able to get to this for 8.0? To be viable for
8.0 you should plan on having a patch ready for merge by the last week
of November, which means the specification and such should be finished a
fair bit sooner.

Again, the outstanding tasks are,

 * Add it to the hoped-for features in the GHC 8.01. status page

 * Write a wiki page with a specification

 * Announce the proposal and seek feedback

 * Meanwhile make sure the branch reflects what you want to be in it

Cheers,

- Ben