stg_upd_frame_info still broken

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Tue Oct 27 14:46:33 UTC 2015

Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> writes:

> Friends
> I still cannot build GHC on Windows. On Ben's advice I dumped my
> current msys setup and re-installed msys64 as described here
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows

I'm sorry to hear that updating msys2 didn't do the trick. I'm still
trying to reproduce this in the background. My previous builds were of
the ghc-7.10 branch so it's possible this regression was introduced into
`master`.

> I cloned an entirely new GHC repository.
> Then 'sh validate'.
> Same result as before: any attempt to run GHCi fails with an unresolved symbol.
>
> bash$ c:/code/HEAD-1/inplace/bin/ghc-stage2 --interactive
>
> GHCi, version 7.11.20151026: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
>
> ghc-stage2.exe: unable to load package `ghc-prim-0.4.0.0'
>
> ghc-stage2.exe: C:\code\HEAD-1\libraries\ghc-prim\dist-install\build\HSghc-prim-0.4.0.0.o: unknown symbol `_stg_upd_frame_info'
>
> How could I actually find what the problem is? Trying random things
> and hoping the problem goes away clearly is not working.

I would first try to find the object file which is supposed to provide
this symbol and figure out whether the problem is one of the RTL
(which is what I would put my money on) or some part of the build
toolchain.

Cheers,

- Ben