Can't build on Windows
Simon Peyton Jones
simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Oct 27 08:07:49 UTC 2015
· I was using “sh validate”. Incidentally, does that still use validate.mk, are-validating.mk etc? Or is all that gone now, in which case if I want to modify the validate settings what do I do?
· 32 vs 64 bit? How do I find out? I’m on a 64-bit processor, but for all I know I’m building GHC with 32 bit stuff. How would I tell?
· `git submodule update’ appeared not to do anything
· I’m on a9c93b as well, same as you
I’ll try ‘make maintainer-clean’.
Am I using LLVM? I don’t know. I’m just saying ‘sh validate’. How would I install LLVM? The Windows preparation page is silent on that. https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows
Incidentally, the stage2 compiler can build statically-linked binaries; it’s just
that immediately fails with the error below.
How could I investigate the actual error more directly? Trying random things around the side is good, but so is directly investigating the cause, if only I knew how.
From: Thomas Miedema [mailto:thomasmiedema at gmail.com]
Sent: 27 October 2015 00:55
To: Simon Peyton Jones
Cc: ghc-devs at haskell.org
Subject: Re: Can't build on Windows
I can not reproduce this on 64bit Windows, a9c93bdd8b027d6de09a3eada7721e7fd2d3e050 builds succesfully with flavour devel2.
* Which build flavour are you using? Any other mk/build.mk<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3a%2f%2fbuild.mk&data=01%7c01%7csimonpj%40064d.mgd.microsoft.com%7cc86c89f598f14d618fe808d2de692fc8%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=p1UQjXj6nQgS8jCzrn2iYDTXQfMWxDWu7zEyn6wTUsM%3d> settings?
* 32bit or 64bit?
* Output of `git status` (i.e. did you 'git submodule update'? In case that fixes it, I suggest you use git pullall<https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions/Git/Submodules#gitpullall> for all your pulling needs)
* Try `make maintainer-clean`.
* In case you use llvm, note that HEAD needs llvm-3.7 now.
On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 10:19 PM, Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com<mailto:simonpj at microsoft.com>> wrote:
Gurgah. GHC is broken on my windows laptop. See below. Anyone have any ideas? Frustrating.
Oddly the symbol is defined in the .exe
bash$ nm inplace/bin/ghc-stage2.exe | grep stg_upd_frame
02c248e0 T _stg_upd_frame_info
This is admittedly on a branch that I have modified; but I have only modified stuff in the front end, nothing in the RTS etc. I suppose I will try to build a unmodified HEAD too.
can anyone help? Thanks!
bash$ c:/code/HEAD/inplace/bin/ghc-stage2 --interactive
GHCi, version 7.11.20151026: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.haskell.org%2fghc%2f&data=01%7c01%7csimonpj%40064d.mgd.microsoft.com%7cc86c89f598f14d618fe808d2de692fc8%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=v%2f5XCuTyAUEs11BFcXCM06TDhVNTgQLJnD%2bomo7Vy6I%3d> :? for help
ghc-stage2.exe: unable to load package `ghc-prim-0.4.0.0'
ghc-stage2.exe: C:\code\HEAD\libraries\ghc-prim\dist-install\build\HSghc-prim-0.4.0.0.o: unknown symbol `_stg_upd_frame_info'
ghc-devs mailing list
ghc-devs at haskell.org<mailto:ghc-devs at haskell.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ghc-devs