Better calling conventions for strict functions (bang patterns)?

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Oct 26 14:27:08 UTC 2015

Ryan

Yes, I’m sure there is room for improvement here!   Good observations.

In particular, while I’d like DATA to support this, I believe that most ‘eval’s find that the thing being evaluated is already evaluated; so the fast-path should be that case.  We should bet for evaluated.

NB, however, that the stack-overflow check applies to the entire function body.  Suppose we do
   f x = case x of (p,q) -> case p of True -> False; False -> True
Then we can eliminate the stack check only if both the eval of ‘x’ and the eval of ‘p’ both take the fast path.

Another avenue you might like to think about is this: if function f calls g, then g’s stack-overflow test could perhaps be absorbed into ‘f’s.  So
   f x = case (g x) of True -> False; False -> True
So maybe f could call a super-fast entry point for g that didn’t have a stack overflow test!

(Watch out: loops, recursion, etc)

I’m happy to advise.

Simon