Better calling conventions for strict functions (bang patterns)?

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 23 14:11:12 UTC 2015

It’s absolutely the case that bang patterns etc tell the caller what to do, but the function CANNOT ASSUME that its argument is evaluated.  Reason: higher order functions.

I think that the way to allow functions that can assume their arg is evaluated is through types: see Type are calling conventions<http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/strict-core/tacc-hs09.pdf>.  But it’d be a fairly big deal to implement.

Simon