Moving forall with coerce

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Oct 19 22:06:56 UTC 2015

Just to be clear, the Codensity bit (which I don't know) is a red herring here. What you want is this:

> newtype A m a = MkA (forall b. m a -> (a -> m b) -> m b)
> newtype B (m :: * -> *) a = MkB (forall b. (a -> m b) -> m b)
>
> foo :: A m a -> (m a -> B m a)
> foo = coerce

On one level, this is perfectly reasonable. These two types do seem to have the same runtime representation. But in thinking about how the types work out, it's all less clear. In particular, this seems to require impredicativity, as we'll be solving a Coercible constraint over forall-types. I think we'll have to sort out impredicativity, in general, before we can start to tackle something like this.

But I haven't thought very deeply about it, and perhaps there's a way forward I haven't seen.

Interesting example!

Richard