Strictness/demand analysis without worker/wrapper, or, reviving -fmax-worker-args

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 14 12:02:21 UTC 2015

Some quick thoughts:

* It would make perfect sense to run the demand analyser without the worker/wrapper transform, yes.  By all means make a patch to make that easy to do.  Do NOT do this by setting -fmax-worker-args=0; that would be a hack even if it worked; and as you say it probably doesn't.

* The -fmax-worker-args flag is supposed to stop GHC unpacking a function with a zillion fields.  E.g. suppose we have
	f :: (Int,Int,Int, ..., Int, Int) -> Int
which, say, adds up all the field of a 200-tuple.  It would probably gain little to worker/wrapper this, because the worker would get 200 arguments.  Maybe that's ok, but the gain over allocating the arg tuple in the heap is proportionately less.

But clearly some refactoring lost this ability.  Maybe someone should put it back!

I have no evidence, either way, to suggest that limiting the # of args to a worker would be beneficial.  Just a kind of intuition.

Simon