Pattern Synonym Signature Confusion

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 11:58:28 UTC 2015

I have grepped the whole of hackage. There are only 10 pattern synonym
signatures in total in three separate packages (one of them being my
own). None of them specify provided constraints, three of them specify
required constraints. Of course this is a very small sample size but
it means that there wouldn't be any widespread breakage either way
with this proposal.

```
../hackage-packages//ghc-exactprint-0.4.1.0/tests/examples/Sigs.hs:pattern
Single :: () => (Show a) => a -> [a]
../hackage-packages//structs-0/src/Data/Struct/Internal.hs:pattern
Struct :: () => Struct t => SmallMutableArray# s Any -> t s
../hackage-packages//structs-0/src/Data/Struct/Internal.hs:pattern Nil
:: forall t s. () => Struct t => t s
../hackage-packages//transformations-0.2.0.0/examples/MultiRec.hs:pattern
Ref' :: Path phi ix top -> HWithRef phi top ix
../hackage-packages//transformations-0.2.0.0/examples/MultiRec.hs:pattern
Const' :: forall top. Integer -> HWithRef AST top AExpr
../hackage-packages//transformations-0.2.0.0/examples/MultiRec.hs:pattern
BConst' :: forall top. Bool -> HWithRef AST top BExpr
../hackage-packages//transformations-0.2.0.0/examples/MultiRec.hs:pattern
And' :: forall top. HWithRef AST top BExpr -> HWithRef AST top BExpr
../hackage-packages//transformations-0.2.0.0/examples/MultiRec.hs:pattern
GT' :: forall top. HWithRef AST top AExpr -> HWithRef AST top AExpr
../hackage-packages//transformations-0.2.0.0/examples/MultiRec.hs:pattern
GT_0 :: Path AST top AExpr -> Path AST top BExpr
../hackage-packages//transformations-0.2.0.0/examples/MultiRec.hs:pattern
Neg_0 :: Path AST top AExpr -> Path AST top AExpr
```