Reproducible builds using GHC

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Fri Nov 27 13:21:49 UTC 2015

Hi Bartosz,

you might be aware of the reproducible builds project
(https://reproducible-builds.org/) which tries to make as much software
as possible to build reproducibly, i.e. bitwise identical output files.
I have done a few minor things in that direction myself and therefore
got invited to the “Reproducibly World Summit” next week in Athens.

But by now, you have worked much harder on the problem than I ever
have, and so you have a much better overview of the remaining issues.

Would you mind posting an update on your work on #4012, about what
remains to be done, whether you think that the remaining problems are
solved (and just need doing) or whether there are issues without a
known solution so far?

I know that your focus right now is reproducible interface files, but
can you say something about how far away reproducible binary files are,
once the interface files are reproducible? Are the causes of non-
determinism in principle the same in either case, or are there unique
problems when it comes to object files?

Are there areas of work where you could need some extra help?

Thanks for your input,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner