Remote GHCi

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 09:17:58 UTC 2015

Ok, it seems that (1) is easy to support in a remote GHCi, (2) is not,
and (3) I'm not sure about.

GHCi itself does something very similar to (3): when we compile a
statement it becomes a value of type IO [HValue], that we can evaluate
and get back a list of the values that were bound to variables by the
statement.  In remote GHCi I can support this by having an RPC to
evaluate the IO action and the returned HValues are remote references
(StablePtrs) to values in the interpreter context.

In any case I don't plan to break anything unless we have alternative
ways to support everything without major upheaval.  In the meantime
there will probably be a flag to select remote GHCi, and existing use
cases will continue to be supported.

Cheers
Simon