too many lines too long

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Tue Nov 10 11:30:58 UTC 2015

Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> writes:

> In my view 80 chars is too short. It was justified in the days of
> 80-column CRTs, but that just isn't a restriction any more. I
> routinely edit in a much wider window.

As far as a hard length limit is concerned I am with Simon here. 80
characters is quite short and some of the more "tabular" source files
of GHC would be on the whole less readable if such a limit were strictly
enforced.

On the other hand, I agree that in many cases 80-characters is quite a
convenient length; having several buffers side-by-side can make reading
much easier. Many of the files with long-lines could and should be
fixed. However, I am not convinced that this is true for *all* source
files and in my opinion a bit of discretion doesn't hurt.

Cheers,

- Ben