too many lines too long

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Nov 9 21:21:20 UTC 2015

I agree that being forceful about the 80-col limit would solve my problem.

But I really dislike the idea. There will always be long-running patches. Volunteers can't be relied on to have time available to continue their work right away. And so I think this decision would increase barriers to contributing and increase merge conflicts for a cause that, frankly, isn't terribly important. (To repeat: I *do* want 80-col lines. I just want an amazing compiler more.)

Richard