Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode `ldrd r0,r1,[r7,#64]'

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Tue Nov 3 22:11:22 UTC 2015

Joachim Breitner wrote:

> Erik, can you comment on that?

Well, I agree that not being able to build GHC on `armel` is a regression
with respect to 7.10.2, but in my opinion, GHC 7.10.2 was not actually
usable on Arm, at least not on `armhf` (not sure about `armel` as I don't
have an `armel` setup).

Currently, GHC treats all 32 bit Arm systems as the same. I think this
shows that we need at least the equivalent of Debian's `armhf` (which
is what we currently have) and Debian's `armel`. I'm not even too sure
what `armel` actually is. Is it Armv4 with softfloat? Is so, I can
probably create a chroot on one of my fast `armhf` boards.

The main problem is that Arm needs more developer man power. For the last
several months my employer has allowed me to allocate some of my work
hours to improve GHC on Arm and Arm64. That however is about to come to
an end and at the moment I seem to be the only person working on Arm.
That work is also made more difficult by the fact that changes in the
master branch seem to break Arm (and/or PowerPC) every 2-3 weeks.
Sometimes just fixing new breakage in master takes up all the time I
have.

Erik