[Haskell-cafe] RFC: "Native -XCPP" Proposal

Lars Kuhtz haskell at kuhtz.eu
Wed May 27 20:21:26 UTC 2015

Carter, your explanation why the usage of LGPL is perfectly fine in most scenarios involves technical as well as legal details. My point is, that it is not a technical, probably not even a legal issue. I completely agree with you that it is a business problem. But it makes adaptation of GHC in a business more difficult if it creates business problems.

Decisions are made most efficiently when there are rules of thumb. Such a rule is that BSD or MIT style licenses are not problematic. But if a GPL style license shows up some special treatment is needed. And a solution requires a detailed communication between two groups of persons who usually don't deal directly with each other and speak very different languages.

This problem can be solved, and we actually solved it, and we use GHC. But it is annoying and it tends to come up again regularly.

For a small company which considers adopting Haskell it would be best if that decision was a purely technical decision. With LGPL style libraries in the mix it isn’t a purely technical decision any more.

Lars