[Haskell-cafe] RFC: "Native -XCPP" Proposal

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Thu May 21 11:55:14 UTC 2015

Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> Interesting.  I'm not completely clear, when you say
> that your company distributes binaries to third-parties:
> do you distribute ghc itself?  Or just the product that
> has been built by ghc?

You're right. We only distribute binaries built by GHC.
So whatever doesn't make it into the runtime is not
a problem for us at the moment.

But as Herbert pointed out, it may not be so simple
for everyone. There is GHC API ; there are EDSLs;
etc.

Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> I'm surprised there's still such resistance given the
> ubiquity of Linux distributions made up of numerous
> (L)GPLed components, IMHO it's kinda like tilting
> at windmills...

A few years ago, people would have said that using
open source in industry at all was like tilting at
windmills. I'm very happy that's not the case anymore.

Some companies - including some big ones -
use GPL'ed code and thumb their noses at the license.
I hope that GHC will support use in industry by companies
that do respect open source licenses.