[Haskell-cafe] RFC: "Native -XCPP" Proposal

malcolm.wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Tue May 19 11:10:58 UTC 2015

How does your company deal with the Integer type, whose standard implementation in ghc is via the LGPL'd Gnu multi-precision routines?
Regards,
    Malcolm

On 18 May, 2015,at 09:19 PM, Lars Kuhtz <haskell at kuhtz.eu> wrote:

I work for PivotCloud. We use Haskell/GHC in our production system on
the server side and on the client side.

My experience is that any license that contains the string "GPL" can
cause problems in an corporate context, no matter if it actually is a
legal issue or not.

Folks who are responsible for making decisions about legal implications
of the usage of third party software don't always have experience with
open source software. Also they are often not familiar with the
technical details of "derived work", different types of linking, or the
subtleties of distinguishing between build-, link-, and run-time
dependencies in modern software engineering pipelines. So, any
mentioning of "LGPL" (or similar) potentially causes overhead in the
adaption.

Regards,
Lars