release timing

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue May 5 11:16:05 UTC 2015

Just to be clear, the issue is this

* For whom is 7.10.2 mission-critical?
* And with what patches? (give specific tickets)
* And by what date?

The only reason to make a release is because someone is stalled, or seriously inconvenienced, unit it happens.  Otherwise we should wait.  So: "+1" doesn't give enough information.  Of course, the sooner the better, the more bugs fixed the better.

You might say "I'm waiting for API Annotations; but I'm under no time pressure".  Or "My whole business is stalled pending a fix to Trac #xxx" or whatever.

The whole API annotations thing is a special case.  We usually make NO api changes in a patch-level release.  But the API annotations stuff is brand new, and apparently most of the fixes depend on API changes.  So I think we are going to let them sneak in.  Do we have a comprehensive list, in Trac tickets of all the patches that are sought?

The canonical list is https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.10.2
Only patches that are listed as "merge" or "patch" are even being considered.  If you have something you care about that is not in that state, can you cause it to be in that state?

Thanks

Simon