HP 2015.2.0.0 and GHC 7.10

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 15:28:45 UTC 2015

I'm personally a rather vocal proponent of the new OpenGL API changes.

I'd also in general favor a policy of greater trust when it comes to
library authors factoring out bits of their packages even once they become
part of the platform. We all want our code to work together.

The hand-wringing we've had over the splitting off of multipart from cgi
and ObjectName or StateVar from OpenGL because designers of packages like
sdl2 want to be able to support a common API without incurring a needless
OpenGL dependency is largely indicative of why some folks get scared of
their packages being included in the platform.

And, e.g. aeson's scientific dependency is needed to ensure data going
through the API doesn't lose precision, and due to stackage almost everyone
has adapted to its presence for over a year. Removing it would do nobody
any good. Let's bless it and move on.

-Edward