wither the Platform

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Mar 23 15:10:19 UTC 2015

On Mar 23, 2015, at 10:58 AM, Christopher Done <chrisdone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Someone added this text:
>
> > Many now recommend just using a bare compiler combined with sandboxed
> > dependencies, especially for new users. However, others prefer to
> > start with the curated blessed set of packages in the Haskell
> > Platform, which is available for Windows, OS X, and Linux.
>
> Which adds choice to users ill-equipped to make choice.

Your point here is a good one. I have to confess I'm not even sure, exactly, what "combined with sandboxed dependencies" means. (Use a sandbox for every package I wish to install, bypassing `cabal install`? Use a sandbox for every package I write? Use a sandbox to write "Hello, world!"? And what about GHCi?) And I'm not a newcomer to Haskell! This is not welcoming, in my opinion.

If the recommended installation mentions sandboxes, it's the wrong recommendation, and we should aim for better.

Richard