wither the Platform

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 14:01:23 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 3:01 AM, Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>
wrote:

>  I notice that in the new Haskell pages, the Platform is definitely not
> the recommended way to go:
>

> Like Richard, I was astonished by this. I always thought that the Haskell
> Platform was *the* route of choice to install GHC, together with a
> respectable set of libraries.   It’s certainly what I install on a new
> machine!

I do too...! But follow the new Haskell.org pages like you are a user "just
want to install Haskell"... you'll never end up with the Platform.

It looks like the Platform deprecated on the Haskell.org site for Linux and
OS X in June
<https://github.com/haskell-infra/hl/commit/4ecad2973c162194cf038fd35769df02871f64f7>,
and for Windows in Jan
<https://github.com/haskell-infra/hl/commit/6277ba664b4ac83deda54624e7cfa2ec1b489c3a#diff-1d72a4aea33e339bb22dd20b5968644d>
.
*Infrastructure team:* Was there a discussion and decision to do that
somewhere?

Let’s not forget the large but non-vocal set of ill-informed and/or
> would-be users, who want a simple answer to “How do I install GHC?”.  It
> may be that the HP formula needs re-visiting, but I think it’s very
> important that we continue to give a very simple (click here) answer to
> that question.

As evidenced by yourself, and those that spoke up here, there is also a
vocal, well-informed set of users who want such a thing as well.