wither the Platform

Erik Hesselink hesselink at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 10:17:21 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Windows, the reason I used to use the Platform was that it came
> with an installed network library, and installing the network library
> on Windows is a real pain (and often fails). Unfortunately it was
> incredibly brittle, a single attempt at upgrading network from some
> newer package usually trashed my Haskell install and required a wipe
> and restart.

Slightly OT: If you ever want to prevent cabal from trying to install
a different version of a package (since you know it won't work, or
will break things) you can put something like this in your cabal
config:

  constraint: network installed

I do this for template-haskell, since it's not possible to reinstall
but cabal would occasionally try it. I can imagine it would work well
to prevent the scenario you describe with network.

Erik