Minor doc patch for ghc 7.10 + did I submit the patch correctly/follow the process?

Doug Burke dburke.gw at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 19:54:54 UTC 2015

I've submitted a small patch for 7.10.1 to the docs, to re-arrange the
order of the "important changes", since - as a "casual" user, things like
the AMP/BPP seem like they should be mentioned first, before changes
labelled as experimental. The change is at

https://phabricator.haskell.org/D736

I'm sending this email to

a) make sure this change gets seen

b) ask if I did this the right way; I'm happy to write this up as an
addendum to the newcomers guide/something else on the wiki if it is a
sensible path for a doc-only patch

I followed a combination of the phabricator intro [1] and newcomers guide
[2] but

1) I did not create a ticket; should I have done so? The existing
documentation assumes that you are fixing a bug. It's not clearto me  if
"RFE to the docs" should be treated the same way

2) since the master branch doesn't contain the 7.10 doc file, and the
newcomer guide
assumes you are working from the master branch, I did

 # downloading the submodules seems excessive for a doc-only patch
 % git config --global url."git://github.com/ghc/packages-".insteadOf git://
github.com/ghc/packages/
 % git clone --recursive git://github.com/ghc/ghc
 % cd git
 % arc install-certificate
 ... enter in the token as requested
 % git checkout ghc-7.10
  # as I'm on a very slow download link the repository needed to be
updated, so
 % git fetch origin
 % git pull origin ghc-7.10
  # since some of these were in need of updating and 'arc diff' complained
  % git submodule update
  ... edit docs/users_guide/7.10.1-notes.xml

  # just to check I didn't make any obvious snafus
  % xmllint 7.10.1-notes.xml
  % git diff

  % git add 7.10.1-notes.xml
  % git commit -m '...'

  # finally get to arc; the first time I tried it complained about a
missing "branch"
  # so I guessed it made sense to use the branch I had started with, rather
than the
  # suggested one (which I think was master)
  % arc diff ghc-7.10
  ... edit the file and guess at what to put in for reviewers (which I just
left as blank
  and fortunately it looks like it defaults to something sensible).

Which is a rather heavy weight process when all I wanted to do was
re-organize several paragraphs of a text file!

Note that I was lazy and didn't try building ghc since it really is a
simple doc change and I didn't want to go and spend even more time working
out what I needed to build ghc documentation.

Doug

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Phabricator
[2] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Newcomers