GHC Weekly News - 2013/03/10
austin at well-typed.com
Tue Mar 10 18:23:37 UTC 2015
(This post is available online at
It's that time again! Today GHC HQ met on a Tuesday to avoid some
scheduling conflicts, and that means it's time to send some news to
Just a quick reminder from last week: we're hoping to make our third
GHC 7.10.1 release candidate on '''Friday, March 13th''', with the
final release on '''Friday, March 27th'''.
- Today, GHC HQ mostly talked about 7.10 bugs; HEAD is steaming
along as usual with no impediments, but we've got several critical
bugs we plan on landing fixes for this week; see milestone:7.10.1 for
But we've also had a little more list activity this week than we did before:
- Joachim Breitner asks: how do I extend the blocks in a C-- graph?
Jan popped in with advice, but it looks like Joachim found a rather
simple solution himself.
- Karel Gardas wrote to the list about how to better parallelize the
GHC build. For background, he's using a UltraSPARC T1-CPU/T2000 server
with 32 hardware threads over 8 cores, where parallelism is a bigger
win than raw single-threaded performance. But despite that, the
performance is of the parallel GHC build is relatively abysmal - and
Karel wants help brainstorming ideas to fix it.
- Herbert Valerio Riedel noted that there are new git hooks in place
for all developers on `git.haskell.org`, which will reject new kinds
of pushes. In particular, Herbert took the time to implement commit
message validation, and whitespace validation.
Some noteworthy commits that went into `ghc.git` in the past week include:
- Commit eb3661f2b9f8472f3714774126ebe1183484dd85 - Re-export `<$>`
from Prelude (#10113)
- Commit 479523f3c37894d63352f1718e06696f3ed63143 - Re-export `<$`
from Prelude (#10113)
- Commit b359c886cd7578ed083bcedcea05d315ecaeeb54 - Custom
`Typeable` solver, that keeps track of kinds (#9858)
- Commit 76b1e11943d794da61d342c072a783862a9e2a1a - Improve core
linter so it catches `unsafeCoerce` problems (#9122)
- Commit 7a2d65a4d93273c89fbb1d19e282d5933c67c7ca - Define proper
`MINIMAL` pragma for `class Ix` (#10142)
Closed tickets the past week include: #7854, #10118, #10119, #3321,
#10132, #9987, #10126, #9707, #10142, #10147, #10113, #9524, #10058,
#10100, #2991, #10140, and #9122.
Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant
Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com/
More information about the ghc-devs