How to better parallelize GHC build.

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Mon Mar 9 10:48:55 UTC 2015

Hi Neil,

On 03/ 8/15 02:58 PM, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi Karel,
>
>> I am. Is this agreed way among the GHC developers? I was not sure so I
>> mentioned shake just lightly...
>
> It's certainly agreed to give it a go, and implementation work is
> ongoing. If it works better than the existing system then I suspect
> we'll switch. I certainly hope to get full parallelism, although I
> don't have as many core as you do to test!

I've investigated for short time stage1 dependencies and what make does
with them and so far had not found any issue which may be fixed by hand
added dependency into the makefile build system.

For example one of the biggest issue in stage1 is excessive dependency
on DynFlags at least. Anyway, I'll see what shake/ghc brings to the
table -- perhaps I've not looked that well and there is a way to solve
that... Anyway, idea of separate compilation of interface files still
comes to my head as a nice experiment to do.

Thanks,
Karel