Abstract FilePath Proposal

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Jun 29 08:46:08 UTC 2015

Regarding underspecified: I think that's appropriate at this phase. The
main proposal is: maybe FilePath an abstract type. It will take multiple
GHC releases before we switch over fully, with plenty of time to hash out
details of how the filepath package should work, and the opportunity to
experiment with different wrappers around a core abstract type.

Having used an alternate FilePath type for a while (via system-filepath), I
can say that it doesn't give the same benefit of just fixing the central
FilePath type. Having to convert between types all over the place is
tedious, defeats a lot of the performance benefits we're going for, and
hurts type safety.

As someone who typically is very much opposed to breaking changes in core
libraries: I think this one is well worth it.