Abstract FilePath Proposal

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 16:21:00 UTC 2015

> Notice that the kind of normalization I'm talking about, specified in
> the link I provided, does not include this kind of normalization.
> Because it requires the IO monad to perform correctly, and only on
> real paths.
>
> Here is the link again:
>

> https://hackage.haskell.org/package/filepath-1.1.0.2/docs/System-FilePath-Posix.html#v:normalise
> [...]

OK, then I misunderstood what you meant by "normalizing". But a question
remains then: What is a use case for having equality modulo "normalise"? It
throws together a few more paths which plain equality on strings would
consider different, but it is still not semantic equality in the sense of
"these 2 paths refer to the same dir/file". So unless there is a compelling
use case (which I don't see), I don't see a point in always doing
"normalise". Or do I miss something?