Abstract FilePath Proposal

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Sat Jun 27 01:30:56 UTC 2015

On 06/26/2015 06:08 PM, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:

> Hello *,
>
> What?
> =====

[--snip--]

I am *entirely* behind this in priciple and if it doesn't break too much
of Hackage, also in practice, but...

... how much of Hackage *does* this break?

The reason that I'm in favor in principle is that paths really *are*
opaque things -- platforms have entirely different conventions. AFAICT
the only thing that they seem to agree on is that there is a "hierarchy"
of some sort. (And not much else, including such things as case
(in-)sensivity or character sets.). For example, in POSIX they're just
strings of bytes without any specified encoding, and I'd love if they
could be make to work like that when dealing with files in Haskell.

Regards,