GHC build failure

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Thu Jun 11 16:28:58 UTC 2015

OK, so I think the reason is because this commit:

https://phabricator.haskell.org/rGHC3b55659d4f54e503f4e550d762bc55a2650ed13d

actually changed the ghc-bin.cabal.in file under ghc/. Which we use to
generate ghc-bin.cabal, which is actually fed to Cabal to build the
'ghc' executable. The build system generates these files from .in
files (from autoconf) very early so 'make' doesn't track the
dependencies here, and it can't rebuild the files from the .in files.
That means you need to regenerate the .cabal file from the .in file to
pick up 'deepseq', which was added to Build-Depends.

The reason this gets 'fixed' with ./validate is precisely because
validate cleans the entire tree and re-boots it before continuing. So
it happens automatically.

TL;DR you should re-./boot and re-./configure again, as Herbert said.
In practice this shouldn't cost you much time, because even though GHC
will re-run the build steps, most of the results of those steps will
be cached compilations, which it can skip. If that doesn't work, then
distclean and start over - which sucks, but you won't have to do it
again ('make' will work fine to rebuilt).

Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant