MonadFail proposal (MFP): Moving fail out of Monad

David Turner dct25-561bs at mythic-beasts.com
Thu Jun 11 15:23:28 UTC 2015

AIUI the point about ⊥ and (⊥, ⊥) being different doesn't matter here:
a bind for a single-constructor datatype never desugars in a way that
uses fail (which isn't to say that it can't be undefined)

For instance:

runErrorT (do { (_,_) <- return undefined; return () } :: ErrorT String IO ())

throws an exception, even though the bind is in ErrorT where fail just
returns left:

runErrorT (do { fail "oops"; return () } :: ErrorT String IO ())

=> Left "oops"

Hope that helps, and hope I understand correctly!

David