Improving the "Get Haskell Experience"

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Fri Jul 24 18:27:00 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 11:16 AM Heinrich Apfelmus <
apfelmus at quantentunnel.de> wrote:

> Michael Snoyman wrote:
> >
> >> Hopefully, they come with suitable documentation. For instance, one
> >> thing I don't understand about  stack  yet is in which location it
> >> "magically" installs GHC and packages, and how I can invoke `ghci` from
> >> these locations. Somehow, I was unable to understand this from the FAQ.
> >>

> > I think this FAQ entry should help[1] on the first question:
> >
> > [1]: https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/wiki/FAQ [..]
> >
> >> Note that stack setup installs GHC into
> > ~/.stack/programs/$platform/ghc-$version/ and not a global location.
>
> Ah, ok. Can I assume that the non-sandboxed packages are also installed
> in the ~/.stack directory? That's the other part I didn't understand.

I'm not sure what "non-sandboxed packages" means. Do you mean
snapshot-level packages? If so, yes. If you mean project-specific packages:
they're all stored in the .stack-work directory of the project itself.

My recommendation overall is: build a project with `stack`, and run `stack
path` to get information on all of the different paths it's using for
various things.

> > For the second question: either `stack ghci` or `stack exec ghci` should
> > achieve what you're looking for. The former is a bit more experimental,
> and
> > does more intelligent stuff at the project level as far as loading up
> your
> > code. The latter simply runs the ghci command with appropriate PATH and
> > GHC_PACKAGE_PATH environment variables set.
>
> `stack ghci` sounds good to me, then. I really like the short startup
> times of ghci and never use `cabal exec ghci` for that reason.

I think `stack exec ghci` is what you mean, correct?