RULES in binary

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 24 11:44:04 UTC 2015

Lennart
In the binary library I'm seeing lots of these warnings:

libraries/binary/src/Data/Binary/Get.hs:420:1: warning:

    Rule "getWord16le/readN" may never fire

      because 'getWord16le' might inline first

    Probable fix: add an INLINE[n] or NOINLINE[n] pragma on this function

libraries/binary/src/Data/Binary/Builder/Base.hs:510:1: warning:

    Rule "flush/flush" may never fire

      because 'flush' might inline first

    Probable fix: add an INLINE[n] or NOINLINE[n] pragma on this function
The warnings look right to me: currently everything is very fragile and may not work as you intend.
You may want to look into this?