Can't build on Windows

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Jul 14 21:01:21 UTC 2015

I've just cloned GHC, on Windows and typed "sh validate".  But it dies as below.  And indeed the directory ghc-tarballs doesn't exist.  Should it?  How do I get it?
Thanks
Simon

Target platform inferred as: i386-unknown-mingw32

GHC build  : i386-unknown-mingw32

GHC host   : i386-unknown-mingw32

GHC target : i386-unknown-mingw32

configure: Building in-tree ghc-pwd

checking for path to top of build tree... C:/code/ghc-injective

configure: Making in-tree mingw tree

tar (child): ../../ghc-tarballs/mingw/binutils*.tar.lzma: Cannot open: No such file or directory

tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

tar: Child returned status 2

./configure: line 4217: inplace/mingw/bin/realgcc.exe: No such file or directory

configure: In-tree mingw tree created