RTS dependency on POSIX signals

Jakub Zalewski jakzale at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 22:14:29 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I am working on porting GHC to [native client](
https://developer.chrome.com/native-client) and I am currently trying to
figure out how to port the RTS.

On POSIX systems RTS seems to depend on two POSIX signals: timer signal and
interrupt signal; while native client has very limited POSIX signal support
--- for instance it does not define *siginfo_t* (which is referenced in the
base package).

So far, I know how to deal with the dependency on the timer signal, as
while browsing the source code in rts/posix/Itimer.c, I noticed that on iOS
the timer is not using POSIX signals to implement the timer signal.

I wanted to ask if there are any other POSIX signal dependencies in the
RTS, and would it safe to disable any signal handling in the RTS if I know
that there will be no interrupt signals sent to the RTS?

Best wishes,
Jakub