7.10.1RC2 compile problem? ghc: internal error: PAP object entered!

Reid Barton rwbarton at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 15:47:58 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 8:34 AM, George Colpitts <
> george.colpitts at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> cabal install *--allow-newer=base*  accelerate
>>

> Never safe, because base contains the runtime and the runtime and the
> compiler are very tightly tied together. Crashes are not surprising.

Actually it should always be safe: --allow-newer=base is essentially the
equivalent of removing the upper bound on base from the .cabal file (of
every package that was installed during that run).

However, I'm quite confused about something, namely that as far as I can
tell, neither accelerate nor any of its dependencies contain a module
Data.Label.Base. What package was GHC trying to build when it crashed?

Regards,
Reid Barton