GHC support for the new "record" package

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 27 11:12:09 UTC 2015

|  1. What are the IV instances provided in base? These could give
|  selector functions, lenses, both or neither.

My instinct: just selector functions.  Leave lenses for a lens package.

I still have not understood the argument for lenses being a function rather that a newtype wrapping that function; apart from the (valuable) ability to re-use ordinary (.), which is cute.  Edward has explained this several time, but I have failed to understand.