GHC support for the new "record" package

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 05:46:51 UTC 2015

My 2¢ on this topic are solely about syntax:

• I actually like the @ sigil: It is somewhat mnemonic: @age is like
roughly "at the age field..."

• The module import hacks are horrid for something so important to the
evolution of the language. And it makes me cringe for every writer of a
programmer tool in the future!

• I disagree with Edward's assessment: I find foo^.bar.baz.quux awful
because a) I dislike the ^. and the copious lens operators, b) I dislike
the attempt to mimic member access in other languages.

• To amplify the second point, I see little value in attempting to mimic
the dot of other languages. So what if the lens (or lens-like-thing)
composition operator is something else? For heaven's sake, why not double
slash?  @bar // @baz // @quux Or perhaps @bar |> @baz |> @quux Or even (I'm
a Unicode nut) @bar ⊢ @baz ⊢ @quux — If the dot implies we can't have a
data type and type changing (thanks to Category) then skip it and using
something else that will let us have a data type and type changing.