Proposal for removing transformers dependency

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 16:29:24 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-22 at 12:40:05 +0100, Boespflug, Mathieu wrote:

[...]

> It sounds to me like Alexander's patch, plus the
> solution alluded by Joachim above for "invisible" packages that don't
> clash with ones registered in the ghc-pkg db, would allow us to avoid
> having any of the following packages leaking into all sandboxes for
> all users of GHC 7.10 and following:
>
> * haskeline
> * transformers
> * xhtml
> * terminfo
>
> Perhaps others. That would be a big win.

Btw, there's an alternative hack that could be used. Since the remaining
use of haskeline/terminfo/transformers would then be mostly in GHCi (if
haven't missed anything), which is luckily not a library, we don't
actually need those packages to be turned into DSOs. We could do
something similiar to what `haddock` inside the GHC tree does w/
e.g. its attoparsec dependency: just embed those 4 packages into the
ghci executable as if they weren't separate packages.

Cheers,
  hvr