integer-gmp2 issues on Solaris/SPARC

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Mon Jan 19 10:55:28 UTC 2015

On 01/19/15 10:54 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
>> Is it possible for you to test for those mpn_ symbols in integrer-gmp2
>> configure and if they are presented then you can use your
>> __gmpn_andn_n foreigner call?
>
> I'm actually rather considering not using those at all when GMP version
> is 4.* as they're not part of the official API of GMP 4.x
>
> Btw, how long do we need to keep supporting GMP 4.x (as it lacks a few
> other features)?
>
> GMP 5.0.0 has been released over 5 years ago... :-/

It depends on support policy. Speaking about RHEL 6.x and Solaris 11.x,
both are supported till 2020 respectively till 2022. If however we
support only newest version line of the OS, then RHEL 7.x is already in
public (supporting gmp 5.x) but Solaris 12 not. Solaris 12 will probably
be released sometimes in 2016 (following Oracle's SPARC/Solaris
roadmap). My hope is, this will include gmp 5.x too. Are you ok waiting
another year or two for transition?

Thanks!
Karel