Request for assistance from Haskell-oriented startup: GHCi performance

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 14 23:16:07 UTC 2015

Konrad

That does sound frustrating.

I think your first port of call should be Manuel Chakravarty, the author of accelerate.  The example you give in your stackoverflow post<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27541609/difference-in-performance-of-compiled-accelerate-code-ran-from-ghci-and-shell> can only be some weird systems thing.  After all, you are executing precisely the same code (namely compiled Accelerate code); it’s just that in one case it’s dynamically linked and excecuted from GHCi and in the other it’s linked and executed by the shell.  I have no clue what could cause that.  I wonder if you are using a GPU and whether that might somehow behave differently.   Could it be the difference between static linking and dynamic linking (which could plausibly account for some startup delay)?  Is it a fixed overhead (eg takes 100ms extra) or does it run a factor of two slower (increase the size of your test case to see)?

I’d be happy to have a Skype call with you, but I am rather unlikely to know anything helpful because it doesn’t sound like a core Haskell issue at all.   You are executing the very same machine instructions!

The overheads of the GHC API to compile and run the expression “main” are pretty small.

I’m copying ghc-devs in case anyone else has any ideas.

Simon