Deprecating functions

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 10:43:41 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl>
wrote:

> > I think Java's (!) policy for deprecation is good
> I think it's not. It keeps the library code a mess and many times I have
> seen users using
> functions that have been deprecated for years just because it's easier to
> suppress a warning than
> change the code. I don't want Haskell to go down that path and I'm
> strongly in favour of removing
> these functions. Especially that we're talking about internal TH module -
> I'll be surprised if
> there are more than 10 users.

It also keeps Java having users. ;) More seriously, we who maintain the
core libraries spend too much time dealing with breakages due to
continuously moving libraries when we could spend time on building upwards
to make Haskell a better platform for building applications. *In practice*
our code is worse because of these continuous breakages (as it's full with
hard to maintain CPP), not better.