Deprecating functions

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Fri Jan 9 10:37:39 UTC 2015

On 09/01/15 12:13, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> On 2015-01-09 at 11:09:07 +0100, Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> [...]
>>> They could stay, technically that's not a problem. But I'm adding new functions that can do the
>>> same thing (and more), so we have redundancy.
>>
>> Can you hide them in the haddock but leave in the module, so that we
>> don't break existing code?
>
> Why hide them? DEPRECATEd entities have the deprecation-message shown in
> discouraging red letters (including any hyperlinks to their
> replacements) in the generated Haddock documentation...

I'll rephrase your question: why show them, if they are not supposed to
be used?

My point is that hiding from the haddocks is more or less equivalent to
removing the function altogether for new users, while avoiding the
penalty for the existing users, who have to update their code sooner or
later for no good reason.

Roman