Deprecating functions

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 10:28:21 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvriedel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Why hide them? DEPRECATEd entities have the deprecation-message shown in
> discouraging red letters (including any hyperlinks to their
> replacements) in the generated Haddock documentation...

I think Java's (!) policy for deprecation is good: Deprecation is (mostly)
for functions that are error prone or otherwise dangerous. Unless the cost
of keeping the function is large, removing functions should be avoided. The
docs can point to the newer functions, but DEPRECATION pragmas will just
add noise to users' compiles.