Clarification of HsBang and isBanged

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 8 15:09:52 UTC 2015

I’m glad you are getting back to strictness.

Good questions.

I’ve pushed (or will as soon as I have validated) a patch that adds type synonyms, updates comments (some of which were indeed misleading), and changes a few names for clarity and consistency.  I hope that answers all your questions.

Except these:

·         Why is there a coercion in `HsUnpack` but not in `HsUserBang (Just True) True`?  Because the former is implementation generated but the latter is source code specified.

·         Why isn't this information split over two data types.  Because there’s a bit of overlap. See comments with HsSrcBang

Simon