Writing a subtype function

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Feb 23 14:18:18 UTC 2015

| I’m at a loss as to how to use TcUnify.tcSubType. My goal is to write a
| function of type
|
| Type -> Type -> Ghc Bool

I assume you are talking here about the GHC API?  tcSubType is usually called during type inference, and it rightly does not return a Bool. Why? Because we may not know whether it will succeed or fail until we have walked the entire syntax tree of the program; perhaps there is a bit of code that forces a crucial unification.

So tcSubType returns a `HsWrapper`, which you can use to wrap a term of type t1, to produce a term of type t2.

It ALSO emits some constraints (in the monad) which can be solved later.  If the constraints are soluble, we have a proof that t1 is a subtype of t2. If not, we don’t.

In the context of the GHC API you probably need something like

do { (_wrapper, constraints) <- captureConstraints (tcSubType t1 t2)
   ; tcSimplifyTop constraints }

The 'captureConstraints' grabs the constraints generated by tcSubType; the tcSimplifyTop tries to solve them and reports errors.   If you don’t want to report errors, you can doubtless use some variant of tcSimplifyTop.

I hope this helps

Simon