Newcomer question

Hengchu Zhang hengchu.zhang+ghcdev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 18:52:22 UTC 2015

Hi GHC Devs,

I just joined the community and wanted to start contributing/hacking on
GHC. I was going through Newcomer's Info tab, and this
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8811 seemed like a good first thing
for me to try.

A few questions related to git: from the ticket it looks like this bug
happens in 7.6.3. From the repo I checked out, there is a
tag ghc-7.6.3-release. But I guess I'm not really supposed to checkout the
tag and modify the code from there? But running git branch only shows the
master branch.

So should I run ./sync-all checkout ghc-7.6 and modify the code from that
branch?

Thank you very much!

Best,
Hengchu