Proposal: ValidateMonoLiterals - Initial bikeshed discussion

Carl Eyeinsky eyeinsky9 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 22:25:34 UTC 2015

Hi *

for what it's worth, I really like the idea. Its purpose is clear, it's
easy to use, it's straightforward to understand, and it seems there are
only benefits that come with it.

I at least would be an immediate user, as it gives a compile-time fence to
custom hard-coded stuff. E.g. it is sometimes simpler and nicer to put
something in a string literal rather than an explicit AST.

(Just my 2 cents -- I'm not a TH expert.)

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Merijn Verstraaten <merijn at inconsistent.nl>
wrote:

> I've been repeatedly running into problems with overloaded literals and
> partial conversion functions, so I wrote up an initial proposal (
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ValidateMonoLiterals) and I'd like
> to commence with the bikeshedding and hearing other opinions :)
>
> Cheers,
> Merijn

Carl Eyeinsky