Open data kinds

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Wed Dec 16 19:21:26 UTC 2015

Devs,

I plan to work on implementing open data kinds (#11080). The idea is that users will be allowed to
declare open kinds and then populate them with member types. Perhaps I will also implement closed
data kinds. This is already possible using DataKinds, but the idea is to declare a data kind
without corresponding data type - see #6024.

Now, consider this declaration (syntax subject to bikeshedding):

  kind K = T

In what namespace should T go: type namespace or data constructor namespace? If we put it in type
namespace then it is possible for the user to declare a data constructor T that is completely
unrelated to type T belonging to kind K. This might be confusing. If we put T in the data
namespace then we miss the point of #6024.

Thoughts?

Janek

---
Politechnika Łódzka
Lodz University of Technology

Treść tej wiadomości zawiera informacje przeznaczone tylko dla adresata.
Jeżeli nie jesteście Państwo jej adresatem, bądź otrzymaliście ją przez pomyłkę
prosimy o powiadomienie o tym nadawcy oraz trwałe jej usunięcie.

This email contains information intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient or if you have received this message in error,
please notify the sender and delete it from your system.