Performance of pattern checker on OptCoercions

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Sat Dec 12 21:23:32 UTC 2015

Here's a thought: is there a way you can tell when you're in a bad case? There's surely one easy way: just count how many times your algorithm goes around. But perhaps you can do better, by looking for lots of guards, etc. My idea would be to enable guard checking by default, but to bail when the going gets tough. Bailing could issue a warning that such-and-such a function/case/multi-way-if is too ornate to be checked performantly. The user could then specify `-fno-warn-incomplete-pattern-guards` to turn off pattern-guard checking, `-fno-warn-ornate-guards` simply to disable the warning in the too-tough-to-handle case (but still check other guards in the module), or `-fwarn-incomplete-pattern-guards-at-any-cost` to instruct the check simply to work harder. Thus, pattern-guard checking would be enabled by default, but we would be protected from requiring 10GB of memory to compile a module.

I was inspired by the fact that I would be tempted to enable pattern-guard checking by default in my own code, even if the check is non-performant. Then, in years' time, I would have a module that inexplicably takes forever to compile and forget to look here. The design above lets me have my cake and eat it too -- that is, to have my code checked but not worry about surprising compilation times.

What do you think?

Richard